Just a synopsis of my daily adventures and things I think people would like to know... :)

Monday, November 06, 2006

Is this my life?

As we’ve been traveling over the past 20 days or so, I’ve had some moments where I think “Is this my life?” I’ve traveled for a long period of time before, and this trip has brought back some old travel memories and created new ones. We have met and visited with some pretty cool people, seen some off the beaten path places and some of America's best cities, and have laughed so much as we created new stories. Here's a short group of random thoughts and quick tales of our time on the road:

Am I really fishing through all these items in the trunk to find a clean shirt? Yes, b/c all the others are dirty and we haven’t been to a family member’s house lately to clean them.

That hotel room is $50??? Forget it. That would put us way over budget!

When the registration lady asked me how old I was and then told me that I “didn’t look 25,” I got the feeling she didn’t want to give me a hotel room b/c that wouldn’t be proper. Of course, this happened in the South.

Whenever Josh uses his camp stove on the table in our hotel room I can’t help but laugh. Whenever I’ve stayed in hotels before we go out or order a pizza, but here we are, cooking. He once fried up some corn beef and it smelled like cat food. He thought it tasted gross but then proceeded to EAT it b/c he didn’t want to waste food/money. He really ought to be on Survivor.

I’ve eaten more McDonald’s on this trip than I have in the past 5 years. One time, we ordered Chinese food the night before and brought it in the car with us. Josh ate the leftover Chinese food in McDonald’s while I munched on some French fries. Hahaha who eats leftover Chinese in a McDonald’s? I know, gross.

No matter how many times you say to yourself “I WILL remember where I put this item”…you won’t. And then you will search for it for a long time and it will turn up somewhere stupid – like the car glove compartment or the pocket of your jacket.

What IS that smell???? Oh, it’s the sandollar and starfish we found on the beach and decided to keep but neglected to let it completely dry out. THAT is why the trunk smells like old seafood!

I get mad when it costs us more than a $5 donation to car camp. FIVE dollars.

Showering every other day is a good week.

I’m sure Josh is sick of hearing me ohhhhhh and ahhhhhh over some of the stunning scenery that we see on a daily basis, especially the last few days when we drove north through Texas and now in New Mexico. Unbelievable drives!

And the thought that is in my head most: Does this REALLY have to end and do we really HAVE to pick a place to actually live and get jobs and go back to all that responsible stuff? It’s more fun to just be on perpetual vacation b/c this trip has opened my eyes and made me appreciate the world around me even more, and the best part is I’m doing it with my very best friend! But alas, we are not independently wealthy, so we’ll make the most of our time out here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home